1) The spine of a book is one of the first places that show wear and tear so keep it healthy. Here's how to do it : put the book on its back, open it and press lightly along the bound edge. This step reduces stiffness in your book, which prevents the spine from cracking easily.
2) While reading your book, take the dust jacket off of hardcover books and keep it in a safe place to prevent it from getting stained, as well to ensure it doesn't get ripped accidentally.
3) Store your books in a cool, dry place. If there is too much heat, they can become brittle and tear easily. Too much humidity can cause mildew.
4) Store your books in an upright position with plenty of shelf room.
5) Books that are heavier than usual should be stacked.
6) Ensure the shelf of your bookcase can handle the weight of your books.
7) Always use a bookmark so you do not have to turn down pages to save your place while reading.
8) Repair any torn pages at the first opportunity.
9) You may want to consider buying two books, one to read and one to collect.